The INTENT of learning Geography at Clearwell
Geography is a rich and diverse subject that gives children the opportunity to learn about diverse places, people, resources, environments and the effect of mankind. It inspires curiosity and fascination about the world from an early age. By studying the beauty of Earth, we can fascinate, inspire and create globally aware pupils. Geography is, by nature, an investigative subject, which develops an understanding of concepts, knowledge and skills.
Whilst the importance of geographical knowledge is recognised, we also enable children to become lifelong geographers who have the skills and attitudes to continue to appreciate the world around them. Throughout the Geography curriculum at Clearwell C of E Primary, children will learn the Earth’s key physical and human processes. They will deepen their understanding of the interaction between physical and human processes and how this affects landscapes and environments. Many contemporary challenges – climate change, food security, energy choices – cannot be understood without a geographical perspective.
We also understand that Geography has many links with history, so where appropriate geographical skills are taught along-side an historical topic.. Pupils are taught to communicate and decipher information by using maps, images of people and place, numerical data and graphical modes of communication, and getting to grips with the geographic information systems (GIS) that underpin our lives, make geographers skilful and employable. They will also develop important geographical skills, such as being able to use a compass and four figure grid references to describe a location.
How Geography is taught at Clearwell (Implementation)
- Geographical knowledge and skills are interwoven across the curriculum, in particular History, so children see it is integral to our understanding of the world.
- Across the whole school, children develop geographical skills in a range of contexts,
- There is one key geographical focus each year linked to an area of the NC.
- Using Oddizzi as a key resource helps assure lively, effective and appropriate learning for all children, including free access for individuals to allow them to explore our world independently,
The IMPACT of learning Geography at Clearwell
- Children will enjoy Geography and be inspired to carry out geographical investigations
- Children will have a sense of curiosity and fascination about the world and its people which inspires life long learning
- Children will have a knowledge of the diversity of our world in terms of place, people, resources and natural and human environments.
- Children will be inspired to experience adventures in life
- Pupils will communicate their knowledge of the world confidently and in a range of formats.